Port History

Over 200 years of history


Cork Harbour Commissioners

The Cork Harbour Commissioners held their first meeting on 21st September 1814 and were constituted by the Harbour Act of 1820.


Custom House Extended

In 1904 the Harbour Commissioners moved into Custom House on Custom House Quay where they built an extension to the Custom House building which consisted of the elegant boardroom and committee room and overhead offices.


Cork Harbour Development Plan

Cork was the first port in Ireland to set up a planning and development department. By 1972 this produced the Cork Harbour Development Plan, in which a blueprint was designed for a future which would include sites such as that at Ringaskiddy.


Ringaskiddy Ferry Terminal

In May 1972, Brittany Ferries launched a Cork-Roscoff ferry route from the Port of Cork, further connecting Cork with France and in 1982, we officially opened the Ringaskiddy Ferry Terminal, just south of Cork City.


Harbours Act

Following the Harbours Act in 1996, all re-valued assets of the Commissioners were transferred to the Port of Cork Company, the new statutory authority responsible for the management, control, operation and development of the Port of Cork.


Maritime Paintings Donation

At the Port of Cork Company, we are very proud of our heritage.  A series of 18th century maritime paintings from the Port of Cork Collection was donated to Cork’s Crawford Art Gallery for all to enjoy.


Cork Container Terminal

In 2022, following an €89 million investment, Cork Container Terminal (CCT) became operational and officially launched in Ringaskiddy.

Pin It on Pinterest